We are beginning week two of the course and I'd like to introduce you to the class blog. This blog has been created for three reasons.
* To give you another avenue to interact with one another and to build a community by posting your thoughts, pictures, links to your own blogs, etc.
* To introduce those that have not used blogs to the communication tool
* To give you an opportunity to earn extra credit points (Who could not benefit from a few extra credit points?)
To earn extra credit, post at least one thoughtful response to an article on this blog each week (weeks two through five) to earn 20 extra credit points. If you do not post at least one thoughtful response during weeks two through five, you will earn 5 points per week that you post.
Class, start your blogs!
Michelle Vore
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
pretty cool extra credit option! how many of us blog anyway?
ReplyDeleteThis is a pretty good way to earn extra credit. CGraves - you said "how many of us blog anyway?" well, I have never blogged. I have been curious about blogs but have never done it. So, this will be an interesting learning tool for me. Thanks for opening a door for me!
ReplyDeleteI am interested in learning more about blogging and think this will be a fun way to learn. I have never posted comments to a blog and have only used them to support references in my IWU assignments, learn opinions on legal cases, and locate terminology in industry's I am not familiar with. I had to create a google acocunt to leave this one and believe that is likely the reason I have never post to blogs previously.
ReplyDeleteThis a great way to earn extra pionts! I know that I well need them! I am not that great with computers! You could say that I am rather slow when it comes to navigating on the computer, sending a text, and an email. I am excited about the extra credit. Thank you for allowing us to have this chance to improve our grade.
ReplyDeleteI read the article about Bill Gates, "Bill Gates- A Story of Success."
ReplyDeleteWebsite: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/7-19-2004-56835.asp
This article talked about how Bill Gates started Microsoft. He was bored with school and dropped out to create software with his friend Allen. They motivated each other to be successful and come up with ways to create new software. His family was well off; therefore he had the support he needed to be successful in the computer world. This is an excellent example of someone being motivated to complete a task to be successful. I believe that Bill Gates had a dream and he did not stop until he finished his dream. He also found computers to be his hobby; in-which, he enjoyed that is why he was a huge success. i am greatful for is vision and living out his dream to be successful.
No I have never blogged before but am interested in the concept. I do not have an account and I am going to try and create one at some point. For now I am very impressed with everyone in my class. You all seem very intellectial and I have learned a lot in a short period of time. Lucretia, Bill Gates is so very impressive. He is the one person who has given us the technology that we have today. What I love about him is that he continues to give to the community. Linnea Bell ADM316
ReplyDeleteI have never had my own blog personally. My best friend is an amazing writer and blogs daily since she is currently living in another country. It is one of the many ways we use technology to keep connected and feel like we are a part of each others lives. I do respond to her blog, but I find I am not good with writing and putting thoughts together that anyone would want to read, so I do not have my own. However, if it brings extra credit, I'll do it!
ReplyDelete-Sarah Young
i have definitely not posted a blog before on anyone's site, but am willing to get a little creative in order to earn some extra points.
ReplyDeletedon hotchkiss
Hi Michelle! I hope I am in the right spot! I found this weeks information informative. Many of the terms I have heard here and there. However, it all came together regarding the hardware. The data storage systems were very interesting. I had no idea there was such a thing as magnetic storage. That is kind of neat. The optical storage was interesting too. I had to laugh about the tape storage. That is so outdated!
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle! I enjoyed this week quite a bit. I learned about all the real technical workings of computers and their software. I have heard these terms in the past like operating systems and such, but did not realize how vital they are. The open source software was interesting as well. I really never thought about. All good information.
ReplyDeleteAccording to the course material tab on blackboard, we are to post a 50 word comment regarding a question asked in that week.
ReplyDeleteWell I just learned about the disposal of computers and other electronic equipment. This was great for me to know because I hate clutter and I have a couple of computers and a few printers that need to be disposed, I had considered taking them to the Goodwill and Salvation Army but I wasn't so sure of how good they still worked to donate them. My though process was "would I want to purchase a computer at these thirft stores on the chances that someone dropout of nothing more than junk?" I don't believe this is fair to other consumers even though you hear slogans like "you get what you pay for". I think recycling centers are the best option.
Angel Coleman
BSMO173-ADM-316-A: BSMO173-ADM-316-A: Computers/Info Processing
It has only been the second week into this course and I have already learned so much! I can't wait to see where this course takes us! I love how God can use courses as a learning opportunity in our daily lives. For instance; I know I mentioned this before but I have been cleaning out lately and I have a very old computer I need to get rid of. It's been praying on my mind (and sitting in my trunk, taking up most of the space) for about 2 weeks now. After this course, I have already looked up different places nearby that will take it. I probably wouldn't have bothered to take this time before Christmas to look up places, but now I have, since it was an assignment. I love the way God is working in this program. It's stupid small things like that, that show me God is involved in my day to day issues. I am so happy that I am exactly where I am suppose to be! It truly is a wonderful feeling!I hope this program is helping others the way it is greatly affecting my life! God Bless!
ReplyDeleteI'm very new to blogging so what I want to ask is for some tips for how to blog and what others that blog regularly do to really enjoy blogging. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI was excited to see that blogging was our extra credit assignment. Although I have never had a personal blog, I wrote many for the community college that I worked for a couple years ago. I was a part of the marketing department so I mostly wrote about upcoming events and would do a follow up post with how the even went and even post pictures along with it. I think that in this day and age with technology being such a clutch for everyone, we need to become comfortable with expressing ourselves through technology, blogging included!
ReplyDeleteI have read lots of blogs but only have written blogs as extra credit in a past course. I enjoy reading everyones views and opinions. Although I have learned about many topics reading blogs I dont always feel comfortable sharing my own thoughts, opinions, or experiences. I hope this helps me feel more open and be able to blog more in the future.
ReplyDeleteBlogging is a great way to share ideas and content. It is not as elegant as some collaboration tools out there, but it can be used to organize discussions on various topics by entire teams of people. I think it is a great idea to introduce this technology in this way.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the opportunity!
This is Tina Bowen from ADM316. I thought I would comment-thought I am not sure what to say since I have NEVER looked at a blog before let alone comment on one. But, I will give it a shot! I have had a recent personal issue that has changed how I feel about some things about state government. I was conteplatitng staring a blog about that. I will change to not being anonymous.
ReplyDeleteThis is Barbara Day, and I'd like to say that this is pretty neat! I've heard people talk about blogging, but I had no idea what they were talking about. I'm definitely in for a treat in this class. Just finished week one, and I've already learned a great deal. I'm looking forward to the rest of the class. Good luck to everyone! For someone who knows very little about computers, this is awesome.
ReplyDeleteThis a great way to learn about blogging while earning some extra credit. Thanks Michelle. Eric Trosky
ReplyDeleteI have heard a couple people in the past talk about blogging and I always wanted to ask what is blogging?? This is all new to me, I never blogged before, but I have to admit this a very neat way to conversate about different topics, get different perspectives on certain subjects and meet new people. *Lanise Merritt*
ReplyDeleteProverbs 10:9 means to me is that when a life is lived in righteousness, or "right standing with God" a person does not have to lead a life of compromise, and does not have to "look over their shoulder", due to deceitful behavior. In my natural self, I believe that if technology permits us to download a couple things for the internet, so be it, but as a follower of Christ, His will must override mines, so if downloading prohibited materials from the internet is wrong than it should not be done. When we practice breaking laws, even when we do it from the comfort of our homes, we open the door for the repercussion of our behavior. Eccl.11:1
ReplyDeleteI am hoping this blog is the one referred to for Workshop 5. I have never blogged before but I have been thinking about setting one up for personal use. I am hoping getting involved in this one with classmates will make it become more of a natural thing. I am a little hesitant about setting up a profile only because we have tried to get the whole family away from facebook, etc because some pretty, what seemed like personal stuff, was becoming pretty normal for the kids (grown kids) to be sharing with 300+ "friends". If I want friends to know stuff I call them up on the old-fashioned phone and tell them. But then we are pretty old late 40's. We remember the days before even computers. Now with technology I personally think God has possibly given us the means to destroy ourselves or at least to determine a true beleiver from one who will fall prey easily to sins when exposed to them. Now temptation is a keystroke away. Pornography, gambling, old boyfriends and girlfirends and other temptations that you used to be able to just avoid. I understand the advantages of technology and especially the Internet. But without God center in our lives that same wonderful technology can destroy us. The ability to feed our truly evil sides has been handed to us without limitation. Without internal policing through strong faith and a true sense of right and wrong there is no stop to what we can expose ourselves to. Families and marriages are being destroyed. Jobs are being lost. Technology will truly separate the believers from the non-believers in a hurry. Jane M.
ReplyDelete